Monday, March 16, 2009

Lake Ontelaunee TT

My first race of the 2009 season was this past Saturday. A 10 mile TT seems like just the right way to start off the season. Just long enough to cause a significant amount of pain but still short enough to be able to go full speed even with mediocre early season fitness. It was a fun course and I really enjoyed it. It was a hilly course for a TT. I don't know if there was any flat ground in the entire 10 miles. Even though it was a bumpy course there was only one section where I felt like I was spinning out my largest gear (54x12). I wish I had put on a cassette with an 11 tooth cog for that section. I could have made the 3 seconds difference that I ended up loosing by.
Well, I guess I spilled the beans, I lost. I had a pretty good race but the cold weather was really messing with my breathing. I was having trouble the entire race after the first 2 minutes but it peaked 2 miles from the finish. I felt someone was sitting on my chest. I ended up winning my category and breaking the prior course record but I got beat by a master's racer. In the end it ended up being alot of fun for an early season race and I ended up winning my registration back plus $2 so it didn't cost anything. Also, I managed to get some USCF points to help in my quest for complete domination of the rankings this year and to improve on my final rank from last year of #19. I have kicked my training into high gear now with T Max Intervals. These things hurt but hopefully it will be worth it. With longer days and warmer weather on the horizon this should be interesting.

1 comment:

samlikesbikes said...

Nice job!