Friday, May 15, 2009

10 miles from home and walking

I was just out for what I thought what was going to be a 60 mile ride and that all changed in a heartbeat. I was accelerating away from a stop light when I heard a snap and then my rear wheel locked up. I came to a sudden stop and made my way to the side of the road and looked down. What I saw was a horror. My derailleur was twisted in my spokes and my chain was still intact but one link had one half snapped off. At first I thought my derailleur hanger had snapped and unleashed the carnage that I was looking at but it appears to still be intact, rather it looks like the derailleur was ripped straight out of it, removing all of the threading. So now what? I have my super multi-tool that I thought could end this kind of madness. I can use it to fix any problem my bike could possibly have. It may not be the best fix but at least I can make it home. That's not the case when you can't even get the rear wheel to turn because it's tangled with a derailleur and chain. Oh well, 10 miles from home and walking. About an hour and 4 miles later some guy out cutting his grass saw me and offered me a ride home which I gladly accepted. I now have blood blisters on both of my feet and I'm tired, too tired to even look at my bike and try to figure out what I need to do next. What a mess!

1 comment:

Henry Dimmick said...

TOTAL Bummer. This is the 3rd half-link tar I have hear of in as many months. Wonder if there is some kind of manuf. defect going on...