Thursday, April 16, 2009

My extended weekend of riding and racing

Friday was 75* and sunny and I was headed for the hills along the border between VA and WV. I was riding to Reddish Knob, which is a 8-10 mile climb that dead ends at the top in a parking lot. Great way to spend a day.
Saturday was the running of the First Annual Bridgewater, VA to Love, VA Century(Made up by me, for me). This ride may happen more or less than yearly but since it's my ride that's what I'm calling it for now. This happened to be the coolest day of the weekend with intermittent mist and barely any sun.
This is my version of taking Ag3r to new heights:)

Easter Sunday was a beautiful day. Other than Easter it also happened to be the running of Paris-Roubaix and therefore in Harrisonburg, VA it means Harris-Roubaix. Harris-Roubaix is 3 laps of a 16 mile course, 12 miles of which is gravel roads. My race started out well with me following the first attack of the race and then making my own attack leading up to and starting the first climb. After a split in the race, I got caught on the wrong side of, I was charging hard with one other guy trying to catch the lead group. All seemed to be going well until we crested the second hill on a gravel section and I flatted. I stopped to fix my tire and then started again and got my second flat less than 1/2 mile later. At this point I threw in the towel and rode slowly to the to the finish line and the post race pot luck dinner. Then when I was getting ready to go back to my car someone pointed out that my handlebar was snapped. It must have happened when I dropped my bike to the ground at the finish line. Upon removing my handlebar tape I found that all that trainer time this winter led to a large salt build up which was weakening aluminum. Luckily it didn't snap during a ride:-)

In short it was a great extended weekend of riding in western VA.

No comments: