Monday, October 12, 2009

Ironcross VII weekend



Ironcross lite was a complete bust. It started well enough and I was mid pack and felt fine for the first lap and a half. Then a disaster occurred. Todd S. had just passed me heading into the single track section of the course and then the guy infront of him came to a screeching halt right before a large log that we were all going to attempt to bunny hop. (At this point I would like to point out that I had bunny hopped the log successfully on the first lap) Todd had to just about stop and so did I. With no momentum I had no chance of clearing the log but tried anyway. I ended up doing a spectacular somersault and landing on my left shoulder. End of race, much pain, bad sensations. I decided the best idea would be to go home ice my shoulder and take an anti-inflammatory.

Day 2: Ironcross VII
I decided to go harder than it was possible for me to maintain so I could make it cleanly though the traditional cyclocross course and get into a good strong group for the first road section of the course. Although this was a good idea and allowed me to sit in on some sections but also forced me to work harder than I was comfortable on the hills and kicked off an asthma attack that lasted roughly the first 55 minutes of the race. Eventually I fell into a good rhythm where I was not pushing too hard or going too easy. I lost some time in the single track sections but not too much. I was in front of some people that always beat me so I knew I must be having a good day. It took Betsy Shogren until mile 53 to pass me. That was a great place for her to pass because it was right before a pretty technical downhill section and I was able to follow her line which I'm sure saved me a ton of time. The course went on like it always does. It was a perfect fall day. Cold in the morning but cool and sunny during the race. I ended up finishing in 4:43:08, in 71th place overall and 39 in Male >40. More importantly I averaged 0.6 MPH and 18 minutes and 5 seconds faster than I was last year.

Steve came over for the race and he has plenty of his own stories to tell. We're already making plans for next season including a better/faster way to spread our stories. More details will be coming over the winter months. Let me leave you with one thought: CORE everyday!

No comments: