Friday, June 17, 2011

2011 PA State ITT


The weather was kinda iffy on the drive to the race.  Half of the time I wasn't sure if it was raining or if it was just really dense fog.  Upon arriving at the race venue the fog had lifted but the sky still looked like it might rain at any minute.
I felt good during my warm-up but from about 3 minutes into the race I could tell something wasn't right.  I wasn't able to put out the power that I was normally able to and I my legs just felt heavy.  At that point I made a decision to abandon my power meter readings and just ride as hard as I could and try to hold on for a good finish.  The course was fast and flat.  There were no real turns to speak of.  At one point on the way out to the turn around point I was passed really closely by a large truck and it blew me off of the road and into the berm.  I had to use my CX skills to keep pedaling and look for a low point in the lip to hop back onto the road surface.
After alot of suffering I finally thought I was close to the finish and then the organizers decided to make the course longer than advertised to make it just a little more painful.  It ended up being over half of a mile longer than it was supposed to be.  I hurt so much after the race that even cooling down was difficult.  I was very excited about the win (and my mini medal)

1 comment:

Henry Dimmick said...

That is one scary looking group of Podium Monkeys!