Tuesday, August 12, 2008

All group rides are not created equal

I showed up at a new group ride tonight. I should have seen bad things coming because of the lack of the usual banter that usually occurs before these rides. We rolled at an easy pace and continued that way for about 7miles and then things started to pick up a little. It still wasn't what you would call a hard ride, just cruising at around 23-24 mph. Then I feel my rear tire get squishy. I signal to the rest of the group that I'm pulling out of the paceline and yell the same so they know my intentions. Well, one of the people in the paceline somewhere behind me yells at me asking "what do you think you're doing?" So I pull off the road to fix my flat. Turns out I ran over a sliver of wire and it went straight through my tire. Anyway, none of these jerks even stopped or asked if I was OK. So, I fixed my tire and luckily I knew where I was and knew how to get back. What a way to welcome a new rider to the group. So I just wanted to say "Thank You!" to all of the people who I have gone on group rides with who are pleasant and helpful. It's people like the ones I rode with tonight who people talk about when they say how roadies are jerks. RANT OFF

No comments: