Sunday, June 06, 2010

Philadelphia Amateur TT


It was a short 8 mile, flat, out and back TT. Ever so slightly up hill on the way out but with a small head wind on the way back made both ways about even. I extended my trainer warm up from 20 minutes to 30 minutes and really felt good. The weather was beautiful and a perfect day to put down a fast time.
I started out fast putting out alot of effort but I felt good. At the turn around my average power was at a new high but I was still feeling really good so thought I might just be able to hang on to the end. I was OK until about 6.5 miles and then the pain in my legs really started. The last 1.5 miles were agony and afterwords I felt like vomiting for the next hour so I knew I put out my hardest effort.
I ended up losing Cat 3 by 15 seconds. I take solice in knowing that my training is going well and I'm hoping to peak in 2 weeks. I hit a new high for average power and found that a longer warm up may benefit me. All seems to be On schedule.
As for Steve...............................He told me that he dropped his chain at the start line and then got some early cyclocross practice when he put his chain back on and got a running mount on his TT bike. As if that wasn't disappointing enough the timers lost Steve's time. After his name wasn't listed in the finish sheet he asked them about it. They told him they didn't have a time recorded for his number. Then moments later a new time for his number appeared on the finish sheet but it was far slower (15-25%) than Steve's actual time that he had recorded on his Garmin bike computer.
On a positive note 2nd place in Cat 3 was good for $50 so we got to stop to eat on the way home and I had money for the turnpike(easy come, easy go)

Also, this was my first race that I got to travel to in my new Honda Fit. It was great and super easy to load. Unfortunately once fully loaded with gear, trainers 3 people, a canopy, and 2 TT bikes on the back the gas mileage for the trip dropped from the 35mpg that I was getting to only 27mpg for the this trip:(

2 comments:

Henry Dimmick said...

Brewer was moving SO FAST, he was deemed "invisible" :)

Shredder said...

Brian - This is an AWESOME result. Congratulations. Your focus and hard work continue to pay off.