Monday, August 31, 2009

Devil's Backbone Mountain Cross (like Ironcross but better)







Let me start by stating that things did not go well. I was sick and in no condition to race but that was OK because the event promoter was clear that this was not a race, it was a ride. That went out the window when J. Bishop and some other local cat1/2 guys showed up. Being that I was just recovering from a miserable cold I was on a mission to Ride with Steve B. and just try to enjoy a bike ride on 62 miles of back-country gravel roads. Steve agreed with this idea because he wanted to destress from his week of tests at IUP. The ride started off with a killer hill (Steve told me it was 2000 ft elevation gain in 2 miles but I don't have a GPS so how would I know but it was tough). This first hill was all on a paved road. Upon reaching the top the road turned to gravel and we were treated to a hair raising descent that left several riders thrown into the woods and at least one with a broken frame. We managed our way through 23 miles of gravel and then the almost unthinkable happened. Steve's pedal stripped completely out of his crankset. Try as we might there was no fixing this one. With no way to continue Steve had to stop and I decided to abandon with him so he wouldn't be stuck waiting around for hours for me to finish. We got a ride back to the start area and got cleaned up.
The day ended in disappointment because we didn't get to finish but it was still alot of fun. I'm going back next year to try and race this thing. It was like Ironcross but better. Don't ask me to explain that statement because I don't think I can other than saying I'd rather do huge climbs on gravel roads than moderate climbs on single track. The two races have alot in common and one is great practice for the other. I can't wait for Ironcross(coming next month) and I can wait to give Devil's Backbone another try. Next time I'm in it to win it;)

No comments: