Saturday, August 01, 2009

Tour de Lancaster RR

It was 5 10 mile laps. 1 climb of significance per lap. 50 starters. My goal: not to get shelled out the back:). The race started out pretty easy and a few riders broke away. I'm in this thing for the whole weekend and not just the RR so I decided to stay in the pack and not do anything crazy. Things started to heat up a little and the speed picked up but a strange thing happened. I was still with the group and actually feeling pretty good. The fourth lap started really fast and when we hit the climb I had to go hard just to stay with the group and I was the last person to make the junction and not get dropped (another plus). Another group of riders broke away on that lap and I spent the rest of my lap working my way back to the front. I finally got near the front when we arrived on the flat section prior to the big climb for the final time. I was talking with a guy from one of the larger teams at the race and we decided that there were already too many people off the front to pick up all of the points from the stage so a group of us decided since there was no time cut off and no points to be gained we would just soft pedal it to the finish and prepare to come out fighting again on Sunday at the TT. Steve Brewer was also at the race and finished 16th place in the cat. 5 race, Great Job! I ended up finishing 34th position. I could have done better if I had killed myself to the finish but still wouldn't have got any points. I'm happy I was able to ride with the pack and not get shelled as I normally do so I am making progression. Now we'll just have to wait and see how Sunday goes with a morning TT and afternoon crit scheduled.

No comments: